Links to Other WWI Sites
- Clio Online: Themenportal 1. Weltkrieg - extremely comprehensive collection of links from a scholarly German perspective.
- See especially the sitemap -- some annotations are in English.
- Documents of World War I assembled by Vincent Ferraro of Mount Holyoke College.
- Electronic Facsimile Texts of World War One -- books and documents digitized in University of Wisconsin Digital History Collection.
- FirstWorldWar.com assembled by Michael Duffy.
- The First World War 1914-1918 - A website of Rene Brouwer in the Netherlands.
- General Historical Links - 'The Scholars Guide' serves as a very useful central point for investigation.
- The General Strikes Page, including Calgary, Winnipeg and Great Britain.
- The Great War 1914-1918 -- from a British perspective.
- Museum of the Great War -- English version of the French Historial de la Grande Guerre.
- Story Bytes - Very Short Stories written on the general conduct and events of the Great War.
- Trenches on the Web (Graphic Images of Trench Warfare-- World War I).
- Virtual Tour of the Western Front -- World War I.
- Wars & Conflict -- World War I (A part of the BBC History website).
Art, Photography, Cartoons and other Images
- Art of the First World War
- An astounding collection representing artists from Guillaume Apollinaire through Eric Kennington to Ossip Zadkine - UNESCO.
- Bag linierne: Vejen til sejr bygges [Behind the Lines: Building a Path to Victory: Danish]
- (Leeds: Petty and Sons, n.d.)
- Photographs digitized in University of Wisconsin Digital History Collection.
- (Leeds: Petty and Sons, n.d.)
- Bécassine pendant la guerre [Bécassine During the War]
- Cartoons of J.-P. Pinchon, vaguely reminiscent of Wilhelm Busch and his Max und Moritz
- (Paris: Gautier et Languereau, 1916) Digitized in University of Wisconsin Digital History Collection.
- Cartoons of J.-P. Pinchon, vaguely reminiscent of Wilhelm Busch and his Max und Moritz
- Canadian Posters from the First World War - from the Archives of Ontario
- Canadian War Poster Collection - McGill University Libraries
- Cartoons of Bruce Bairnsfather
- The Committee for Men Blinded in Battle
- (New York: The Committee for Men Blinded in Battle, 1917) Photographs and text digitized in University of Wisconsin Digital History Collection.
- Documents de la Section photographique de l'Armée française Photographic documents of the French Ministry of War's Photography Section. 2 vols. (Paris: Ministère de la guerre, 1917) Digitized in University of Wisconsin Digital History Collection.
- Film Records of the Canadian Participation in World War One - by the National Film Board.
- "For the Future": Belgium and Northern France (San Francisco, Califormia: Commission for Relief in Belgium, 1916).
- Fra forretningsmand til krigsmand: en Britisk soldats uddannelse [From Businessman to Man of War -- The Training of a British Soldier: Danish] (London: Eyre and Spottiswoode, n.d.) Photographs digitized in University of Wisconsin Digital History Collection.
- Gennem sump og skov: de Britiske felttog i Afrika [Through Swamp and Jungle -- The British Campaign in Africa: Danish] (Bristol: Rankin Bros., n.d.) Photographs digitized in University of Wisconsin Digital History Collection.
- Grosser Bilderatlas des Weltkrieges [Great Illustrated Atlas of the World War] 3 vols. (Munich: Bruckmann, 1915-1919). Digitized in University of Wisconsin Digital History Collection.
La Guerre illustrée [The War in Pictures -- March 1918 French ed. of Verdenskrigen i billeder (below)] (London: Illustrated London News & Sketch, 1918). Digitized in University of Wisconsin Digital History Collection.
The Great War in a Different Light Accounts from Contemporary Books and Magazines, Photo Galleries and Illustrations.
- ">Haeng I: Britiske kvinders arbejde i krigstid ["Hanging In There" -- British Women's Work in Wartime: Danish] (England: The Mendip Press, n.d.) Photographs digitized in University of Wisconsin Digital History Collection.
- Havenes skildvagt: den Britiske flaades utraettelige vagt [Naval Watch Illustrated: The Unwavering Vigil of the British Fleet: Danish] (London: Harrison, Jehring and Co., n.d.). Photographs digitized in University of Wisconsin Digital History Collection.
- Hetz-Karikaturen: zur Psychologie der Entente [Caricatures Designed to Enrage: Toward a Psychology of Entente] (Berlin: Curtius, 1917). - Foreword in German, cartoons in French - Digitized in University of Wisconsin Digital History Collection.
- Histoire illustrée de la Guerre de 1914 [Illustrated History of the War of 1914] by Gabriel Hanotaux 17 vols. (Paris: Gounouilhou, 1915-1924). - en français - Digitized in University of Wisconsin ">Digital History Collection.
- Image Collection of World War One Hundreds of images digitized in University of Wisconsin Digital History Collection.
- Military War Art and Artists, including art from numerous wars in the Twentieth Century
- On the Rue Du Bois -- illustrated by Frederick George Scott London: Society for Propagating Christian Knowledge, [1914-1918] Digitized in University of Wisconsin Digital History Collection.
The "> Poster War: Allied Propaganda Art of the First World War - Provincial Museum of Alberta
Louis Raemaekers, Raemaekers' Cartoons (London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1916). British propaganda cartoons on the German invasion of Belgium Digitally assembled at Brigham Young University.
Verdenskrigen i billeder [World War in Pictures: Danish] Subtitle added June-December 1918: ... fra de allieredes fronter [From the Allied Front] (London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1917-1918) Digitized in University of Wisconsin ">Digital History Collection. 1917: ">October - ">November - ">December 1918: ">January - ">February - . . . - ">May - ">June - ">July - ">August - ">September - ">October - ">November - ">December
- War Artists from the First World War Site maintained by the government of Ontario, Canada.
- Will You Help These Brave Wounded Men?' London: The Over-Seas Club, [1914-1918]
- World War I Photograph Albums and Postcards Digital facsimiles of the collection at New York Public Library.
An Anthem for Dead Youth An eclectic survey of the literature of the Great War. From an exhibit in BYU Library's Special Collections. I Figli della guerra. Venice: Istituto Veneto di Arti Grafiche Venezia, 1919 Report to the Contributors to the American Authors Fund. By Margaret Wade Campbell Deland Boston: The American Authors Fund, [1914-1918]
Maps and Atlas
The ">Geography of the Great War by Frank M. McMurry (New York: Macmillan, 1919).
- Grosser Bilderatlas des Weltkrieges [Great Illustrated Atlas of the World War] 3 vols. (Munich: F. Bruckmann, 1915-1919). - auf Deutsch - Digitized in University of Wisconsin Digital History Collection.
- Maps of World War I, offering detailed maps of war plans, battles, and political realignments.
- World War I Sheet Music: A Brown University Library Digital Collection.
">The Australian Archives: From this page can be located Australian WWI serving personnel records, along with memorials and other records of Australian participation in the Great War.
">The Australian Defence Force Academy: Includes access to the 'First AIF Database Project' which... seeks to record comprehensive information on all 332,000 men and women (i.e. nurses) who served in the the Australian Imperial Force 1914-19.
">The Daily Diary of L/Corp. Thomas Reginald Part No. 77 Signaller, H.Q.D. 24th Bn. 6th Inf. Bn. 2nd Div., Australian Imperial Forces, France, Dec. 15th 1916.
">Fort de Liezele. Belgium - 1908-1914; concrete fortifications. In Dutch and English.
A new Belgian site, ">'In Flanders Fields'.
">Les Chevaliers du Ciel, a site in French, from Belgium, on the German fliers, including Richthofen, Voss, Udet.
">An Unfortunate Region - Flanders
">The 48th Highlanders of Canada - Official site.
">The 54th Kootenay Battalion, CEF
An "> Archival Look at World War I -- many items digitized from the Queen's University Archives, Canada
The "> Archives of Ontario Remembers Our Canadian War Heroes. - maintained by the government of Ontario, Canada.
The ">Black Watch (RHR) of Canada - the senior Canadian Highland Regiment.
">Canada at War - The National SchoolNet collections site, part of Canada's Digital Collections, includes the: CEF Attestation Papers; Books of Remembrance; Aviation Hall of Fame; Canadian Military Medals and Decorations; Canadian Veterans Recollect; Courage Remembered; The Northwest Rebellion of 1885; the Taconis Collection and Canadian Military Uniforms. Major resource, en français et anglais.
The ">Canada Expeditionary Force Study Group -- forum and research help.
">Canada in the First World War
">Canada in the First World War from Veterans Affairs Canada. Also available in "> the French version.
">Canadian Air Aces and Heroes, in WWI, WWII and Korea.
">Canadian Expeditionary Force: 1914-1919 - Official History of the Canadian Army in the First World War, by Colonel G.W.L. Nicholson (PDF file).
"> Canadian Letters and Images Project
The ">Canadian Great War Homepage - The Canadian Military Heritage Project
The ">Canadian Great War Project - Large fully-searchable database of Canadians who served in the First World War.
">Canadian sheet music from the First World War era (National Library of Canada)
">Canadian Virtual War Memorial
The ">Canadian Wartime Experience: The Documentary Legacy of Canada at War - digitised documents maintained at the University of Manitoba.
The ">Canadian War Museum / Musée canadien de la guerre .
[ http://collections.ic.gc.ca/courage/splash.html">Courage Remembered]: The World Wars through Canadian Eyes.
">First World War from the ">Canadian Military History Gateway - literally hundreds of sites.
">For King and Empire: Canada's Soldiers in the Great War
">From Colony to Country: A Reader's Guide to Canadian Military History (National Library of Canada)
"> Glenbow Museum (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) , featuring images from its rich collection.
">Internment of Ukrainians in Canada1914-1920
">Jack Turner's War - photos, articles, interviews.
">'Lest We Forget' - with galleries of photographs and posters
">Museum of the Regiments, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
">National Archives of Canada, with sections dealing with locating and obtaining Canadian Service records held within the Archives.
">Over the Top, an interactive trench adventure at the Canadian War Museum.
Parks Canada's page concerning the "> Internment camps erected during the First World War in Banff National Park, at the Cave and Basin and near Castle Mountain.
">Popular Songs of the Great War.
">Royal Canadian Legion of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Veterans Affairs Canada, "> The First World War. "> Songs Popular during the First World War (audio)
">Virtual Gramophone - The First World War Era - Canadian Historical Sound Recordings.
">War Diaries of the First World War - diaries of Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) units, digitised by the National Archives.
England / Great Britain
The ">Accrington Pals - site dedicated to the 11th (Service) Battalion (Accrington) East Lancashire Regiment (It even has a ">German-language interface!)
">British Library's French Section: The First World War.
">Captain Noel Chavasse, Medical Officer of the 10th (Liverpool Scottish) Battalion, the King's (Liverpool) Regiment, England, the only man to win the Victoria Cross twice during the Great War. The primary reference for this life.
[http://www.firstworldwar.bham.ac.uk/index.htm">Centre for First World War Studies - located at the University of Birmingham.
">Craiglockhart Hospital and the poets Sassoon and Owens.
The ">First World War: Sources for History - sponsored by the British National Archives.
"> GCSE World War One History Revision (England) - Teaching aids and examination papers concerning the Great War.
">Hellfire Corner, a WWI site by Tom Morgan focusing on British and Imperial involvement.
">Imperial War Museum, London, England.
The International Internet ">Encyclopædia of the First World War, England, an ambitious schools project with local history links. Ongoing.
The ">Long, Long Trail: Story of the British Army in the Great War of 1914-1918.
">National Archives (Great Britain). Includes the ">complete catalogue of holdings, and ">digital documents.
">National Register of Archives for the United Kingdom; England.
">The Northallerton Memorials Project - the record of the war dead of Northallerton, Romanby & Brompton, North Yorkshire, England.
">Oxford WWW Isaac Rosenberg Tutorial: A WWI Chronology, interpretative material and contextual information.
The Psywar Society of Great Britain publishes "> The Falling Leaf, which has published articles dealing with the Great War, including 'The First Leaflet of the First World War', 'Propaganda Behind The Lines', and 'Air Disseminated Postcards of the First World War.
">The Robert Graves Society Information Centre: St. John's College, England.
">The Royal British Legion Home Page, England
">The Western Front Association website, Great Britain
">The Wilfred Owen Digital Multimedia Archive, the University of Oxford, England's innovative and comprehensive archive dealing with Owen, with film clips, photographs, poetry tutorials and a complete run of the Hydra.
">American Battlefields in France: Chateau-Thiery and Belleau Wood.
The ">"Association 1914-1918" of France, homepage.
Le ">Colloque international "Traces de 14-18".
"> Commemoration at Metz, and the Verdun 1916: un Train-Expo à Metz, France.
La ">Deuxième Bataille de la Marne 1914-1918, France - The Second Battle of the Marne River; Pour tout savoir sur la Bataille et les détails des opérations de la Commémoration de la Deuxième Bataille de la Marne.
">Histoire et memoire des deux guerres mondiales. A website of the Centre Régional de Documentation Pedagogique de Champagne-Ardenne.
">Mémorial de Verdun, 1914-1918 - Verdun as symbol of the Great War?
La ">Première guerre mondiale (1902 - 1932). With documentation of pre- and postwar chronological, thematic and geographic details.
la ">Service Historique de l'Armée de Terre, Vincennes, France.
">Somme: a Land of History - ANZAC connexions to the Somme, presented by the French Conseil Général de la Somme.
">Vestiges militaria - French-language portal to war relics & personal collections left over from the First and the Second World Wars.
Germany (see also ">Clio Online: Themenportal 1. Weltkrieg)
">Die Darstellbarkeit des Krieges im Museum ("The Presentation of War in Museums") A German site reporting on the conference of the same name.
">Deutsches Historisches Museum: German Historical Museum, Berlin. - also available ">in English -
The ">Ernst Jünger Home Page. (German author).
">Erster Weltkrieg - German-language First World War webpage in ">Virtual Library for History.
">Fliegertruppe German flyers from 1911 through 1920.
">Frontflieger: Die Soldaten der Deutschen Fliegertruppe 1914-1918 Information on German flyers, including the "Red Baron," Manfred von Richthofen.
">Militärgeschichtliches Forschungsamt - Military History Research Institute of the German Bundeswehr, located in Potsdam.
">Stahlgewitter - Kriegschronik - offering chronicles and images of the First World War from the German perspective.
">The Hellenic Resources Network. Material related to Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, the Balkans, Armenia and Kurdistan during the Great War.
">Historia de la Revolucion Mexicana: A non-traditional view of the Mexican Revolution. En espanol.
">The Heritage of the Great War based in The Netherlands: Great War posters, cartoons, photographs, articles dealing with toxic gas and shells.
The Netherlands ">Western Front Museum
">An Unfortunate Region - the Netherlands
">Newfoundland and the Great War
">The New Zealand Military Museums.
">The Alexander Turnbull Museum, New Zealand. Includes images from Sir Ernest Shackelton's (later of the Archangel/Murmansk Expeditions) 1914-1916 Antarctic Voyage.
">New Zealand and the Great War. Peter Hoar's contribution to mark New Zealand's participation in the war, including memorial sites, chronology and bibliography.
Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland
">The Somme Heritage Centre, County Down, Northern Ireland.
">Posters of Russian soldiers in the Great War.
">Scots at War (Scotland)
">Far From the Front: War in a Scottish Village
">The South African War Museum.
">The War Museum of the Boer Republics (South Africa).
">Archive of Turkish Oral Narrative (Turkey) Located at the library of Texas Tech University.
">Adventuring with Anatolia College is an Anatolian/Turkish/Armenian resource on the Web Covering the period 1910 until 1921.
">American Battlefields Monument Commission. - Assistance in locating battlefields, gravesites.
">Army Manuals and Publications Search Page, includes access to US Army Technical and Field Manuals. USA
">'Battery Corporal Willis S. Cole Military Museum' of Kirkland, Washington, USA, dealing with both the exploits of Corporal Cole and aircraft history of the Great War.
The ">First Division Museum at Cantigny, Illinois, USA.
">German and Austro-Hungarian Internment during World War One in the United States.
The ">Great Bisbee IWW Deportation of July 12, 1917 (Arizona).
The ">Great European and World War - specializing in graphics that show formations and orders of battle.
The ">Great War Society, Stanford, California. USA.
">Harry S Truman Library, (USA) - with a wide variety of representative documents and photos concerning the President's experiences.
">Liberty Memorial Online - sponsored by the Liberty Memorial Association in Kansas City, Missouri.
The ">Lost Poets of the Great War (World War I; by Harry Rusche - USA).
">Life at Camp Funston: Reflections of Army Sergeant Charles L. Johnston, USA. Co-respondence, photographs, dealing with Camp Funston (Ft. Riley), Kansas, 1918.
The ">Marcus Garvey and Universal Negro Improvement Association Papers Project. - Online resource and access. USA
">Medal of Honor Recipients, World War One USA.
The ">National Cryptologic Museum: Includes images of the 'Verdun Intercept Site Exhibit' and of the 'Black Chamber.' (USA)
The ">Nation's Forum: Early Sound Recordings of America's Leaders, 1918-1920 (USA).
">Newspaper Pictorials - World War I Rotogravures - part of the Library of Congress' American Memory Project (USA).
">POW/MIA Database, offered by the Federal Research Division, US Library of Congress.
The ">Price of Freedom: Americans at War - an exhibition of the Smithsonian Institution.
The ">US Naval Reserve force at Porto Corsini, Italy; August - December 1918.
The ">Woodrow Wilson House, presented by the US National Trust.
"> World War I History Commission Questionnaires of the State of Virginia, USA. The surveys of World War I veterans in Virginia, a fully-searchable database of over 14,900 records, one for each questionnaire respondent, accessible by name, city/county, and race. Each record is also linked to digitized images of each page of the questionnaires, as well as any accompanying material such as photographs and additional pages submitted by the respondents.
A variety of materiel sites, including the "> The World War I Modelling Page; along with those concentrating on: ">Dreadnoughts, "> Battleships, and the ">Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome These are supplemented by sites covering most aspects of Air Warfare: [ http://www.christmastruce.co.uk/">Christmas Truce 1914: Operation Plum Puddings] -- A project to document the Christmas Truce.
Return to [/~rdh/wwi/">World War I Document Archive]
Comments, corrections and suggestions are welcome:
Richard Hacken (hacken @ byu.edu) or Jane Plotke (cd078 @ gwpda.org).
The World War I Document Archive on the server of the ">Brigham Young University Library has been visited times since February 1996.
Last Updated: April 2006